Ready To Benefit in Chesterfield?
We'd love to have you!
- Must be 21 years of age prior to completion of the field training program
- Must be in compliance with the department’s Dress Code and Appearance Policy (PDF)
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have binocular vision of 20/25 corrected
- Must have a high school diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED)
- Must have no conviction of, or guilty or no contest plea to, any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, including petit larceny; any misdemeanor sex offense; or any domestic assault
- Must have no convictions of felonies and/or serious and habitual misdemeanors
- Must have weight in proportion to height
- Must pass an extensive background investigation, including a polygraph, psychological, medical, and drug screening
- Must pass a physical ability test
- Must possess or be eligible for a Virginia driver’s license
Disclaimer: Applicants will be eliminated for significant omissions or falsifications on any documents prepared in conjunction with the application process.
To better serve our community, we know that our department must serve our police officers. That’s why CCPD offers an exceptional benefits package and commitment to positive work-life balance. Our heart for service doesn’t just mean protecting our community — it means protecting the people who serve it.
- 21 Days of military leave per year for annual military training
- 33 Days paid time off (PTO)
- Permanent shift assignments
- Take-home vehicle for Chesterfield County residents and those who reside in a contiguous jurisdiction within 17 miles of the county line upon successful completion of field training
- Uniform and equipment furnished
- Career development program
- Participation in the Position Readiness Education Program (PDF)
- Regular (semi-annual) in-service and training at the Chesterfield County Public Safety Training Center
- Tuition assistance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Free accidental death and dismemberment policy to four times your salary
- Free life insurance coverage to twice your salary
- Long-term care insurance
- Long-term disability program
- Medical and dental coverage
- Short-term disability program provides 60% of your income after an elimination period
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Deferred Compensation Plans
- Full retirement benefits through the Virginia Retirement System (VRS), Health and dental care available to retirees at the county group rate at 55 or older, with 15 years of full-time service
- Law Enforcement Officers Supplement income through Virginia State Retirement Services with 20 years VRS service
- If you move to a VRS-covered position from a non-covered position with an employer that has a portability agreement with VRS (PDF), you may be eligible to transfer retirement assets from the former employer’s plan in exchange for VRS service credit.
- 529 College Savings Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees’ Federal Credit Union
We’re here to assist you throughout the entire application process of joining CCPD.
Step 1: Apply to the correct position based on your experience and qualifications.
Step 2: A member of our Police Personnel Unit will reach out to you via email to complete a background packet that must be completed in full and sent back electronically.
Step 3: You’ll be invited to take the CCPD Physical Ability Test.
Disclaimer: Once you confirm your test date, you must print and bring your completed background packet with you to your assigned test date. Applicants who do not bring their completed background packet with them to testing will not be admitted.
If you're applying for a Pre-Certified Lateral Officer position, you must bring a copy of your training records along with our completed background packet to the test.
Step 4: You’ll be contacted for an interview.
Step 5: If chosen, you’ll be offered a position on our force.
If you have not received an email within two weeks of application or have any questions, please contact the Chesterfield County Police Personnel Unit at (804) 748-1547.
Get a glimpse at the process of joining our force!
Ready to join?
Disclaimer: Although individuals with minimum qualifications may apply, only those with the most suitable job-related experience, education, and qualifications will be selected to join our force. The Chesterfield County Police Department is an equal opportunity employer. All appointments to the competitive service shall be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, military service, or political affiliation, and shall be based on merit and fitness only.